OpenBMC - Support NVMe drive health monitoring

Lior Weintraub liorw at pliops.com
Fri Apr 7 22:35:15 AEST 2023

Thanks Andrew,

I wish I had the experience to help with the review process 😊

I have more than 2 decades experience with bare metal embedded systems but no experience with Embedded Linux\Yocto nor OpenBMC (nor Gerrit).

It's all new to me and came to realize that many guides \ documentations I find on the web are old and doesn't work anymore on OpenBMC (e.g. using the oe-init-build-env vs setup script).

I am happy to assist and contribute but I need some guidance.

I have only 2 weeks experience with OpenBMC.

I have succeeded to build few platforms and run them (e.g. qemuarm and RaspberryPi4).

I watched many youtube videos on OpenBMC which gave me a good overall understanding but when it comes to start coding or adding new stuff I am lost.

If we start our development with NVMe-MI basic management command as a starting point, what steps would you recommend we need to take?

Can we use the PaspberryPi4 for this initial implementation?

We have a basic OpenBMC image on this RaspPi and we have it's I2C connected to our PCIe card (which is using a Desktop as the host PC).

(BTW, the i2c-dev module is not loaded automatically and we still haven't figured out why. As a workaround, we load the module manually with modprobe i2c-dev on the OpenBMC UART terminal)

Thanks,

Lior.