IBM PPC multiple ethernet interface network installs

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Mon Sep 3 10:21:40 EST 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 02:28:08PM -0500, Kirk Bigelow wrote:
> I was wondering if yaboot supported a method to pass the ethernet boot
> interface information to the linux boot loader similar to what one can do
> with pxeboot.  i.e.  redhat append  "ksdevice=bootif"      pxeboot
> "IPAPPEND 2"

Hi Kirk,

The basic boot process on IBM pSeries systems is

 - Firmware boot yaboot (either from disk or a network device)
 - Yaboot locates the config file from the same device it was booted from
 - Yaboot loaded the kernel (and probably initrd) from the location in
   the config file.
 - The kernel takes over the system and Linux boots.

As those options you refer to are kernel options.  You can either add
them to kernel command line in the yaboot config file or add them when
you boot the kernel in question.

>                 Do I just set "ksdevice"=nvsetenv value?  Would it be this
> simple.

I'm not certain I understand what you mean by this, but I think you're
asking if you can set some firmware environment variable to then is used
as kernel arguments.  No you can't do that.  I think the best option is
to just edit the config file.

Yours Tony