booting RHEL6

Radu Molnar taipan_yh at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 17 20:29:55 EST 2011

I haven't got to test this yet but i did notice that the yaboot that RedHat ships is patched to increase LOAD_BUFFER_SIZE to 0x02000000, so i guess they hit the same problem, with their ramdisk beeing too large.

I'm stuck on testing net booting RHEL6.1 because of some weird issue on my POWER6 machine. Just throwing it our there, in case you guys have seen this before. It seems that the filename argument in my boot net command is ignored and replaced with bogus characters:
0 > boot net:,yaboot,,

TFTP BOOT
Server
IP.....................192.168.205.226
Client
IP.....................192.168.205.254
Gateway
IP....................192.168.205.225
Subnet
Mask...................255.255.255.224
( 1  ) Filename.................�����Q�
TFTP Retries..................5
Block
Size....................512
1
2
3

!EA017021 !

And if i do a tcpdump on the tftp server i see this:
08:12:59.812664 IP (tos 0x0, ttl
255, id 9234, offset 0, flags [none], proto 17, length: 48)
192.168.205.254.41002 > 192.168.205.226.tftp: [no cksum]  20 RRQ
"M-:^DM- at M-(M-MM-bM-;^B^_QM-^?" octet

So basically instead of requesting the file "yaboot" from the server, my machine requests "M-:^DM- at M-(M-MM-bM-;^B^_QM-^?". The firmware was updated to the latest version but still no change.

Anyway, just in case you've seen this before.

Thanks,
Radu