Netbooting yaboot doesn't show menu

mardok45 mardok45 at gmail.com
Wed May 19 01:59:30 EST 2010

Hi,

I'm booting some Mac G4's into yaboot by Netbooting.  Downloading and
running linux kernels / initrd's works perfectly fine, but yaboot doesn't
display a menu.

What's happening is when the yaboot executable is transferred via Netboot,
instead of displaying the boot menu like it usually does, I just get the
Apple Netboot icon in a frozen state.  If I hit enter, it starts downloading
the kernel / initrd like it normally would and everything is fine from
there.

The above problem applies when I hold down the N key when the Mac boots up.
If I boot into yaboot on the local hard drive and then Netboot, the menu
shows like it normally would.

Here's the yaboot.conf on the TFTP server:

device=enet:
partition=0
default=linux
image=vmlinuz
        label=linux
        read-only
        initrd=ramdisk.image.gz
        append="root=/dev/ram0"

The TFTP server has yaboot, yaboot.conf, vmlinuz and ramdisk.image.gz stored
on it.

Is there a way to get yaboot to display the menu like it normally does when
Netbooting?