Yaboot not recognizing volume labels

Dustin N. Jenkins Dustin.Jenkins at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Sat Jan 30 04:16:35 EST 2010

I'm running an unstable 5.0.3 on a 15" PowerBook G4 on a custom 2.6.32.3
kernel.  I have a single partition that is a reiserfs file system.

When I tried to upgrade to a 2.6.32.4 kernel (or higher as the current
stable kernel is 2.6.32.7), I got the "Waiting for root file system..."
hang.  Debian has some documentation about it:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#boot-hangs

I tried the suggestion of labeling the file system to 'Root', but it
still hangs.  I thought maybe the initramfs image wasn't being setup
properly, so I modified the /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf file and
set this:

ROOT=LABEL=/Root

and rebuilt my initrd.img:
mkinitramfs -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32.7 2.6.32.7

The resulting image was 22MB, and the system still hangs.  If I try to
configure my /etc/yaboot.conf to look for the root at LABEL=/Root, it
becomes unreadable when selected at the Yaboot selection screen.  I have
also tried to set the root to /dev/sda4 instead of /dev/hda4 as per the
suggestion in the Debian documentation above, but it still hangs.

Here is my current yaboot.conf (The 'old' image boots fine):

boot=/dev/hda2
device=/pci at f4000000/ata-6 at d/disk at 0:
partition=4
timeout=100
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot