Where is yaboot.conf

Stephen Allen p0036343 at brookes.ac.uk
Tue Apr 20 23:32:21 EST 2010

Hello,

I'm trying to boot an Xserve G5 into Linux over the network.  After
spending ages messing with DHCP I am now at the stage where the client
receives an IP address and boot filename (yaboot), and duly goes off to
fetch it using tftp.

However, when yaboot executes it is giving the message:

     method 'load' failed fffffefc
     Error, can't read config file
     Welcome to yaboot version 1.3.13
     Enter "help" to get some basic usage information
     boot:

The version of yaboot I'm using is 1.3.13a-ubuntu5 and I at ve tried
binaries from both the Debian and Ubuntu respositories.

The contents of [tftproot] are:

     boot.msg
     initrd.gz
     mini.iso
     vmlinux
     vmlinuz-chrp.initrd
     yaboot
     yaboot.conf

So I gues the question is, how does the yaboot binary know where to
fetch yaboot.conf from?  Or, where is it expecting it to be when booting
from the network?

I hope someone can help as I'm completely out of ideas.

Kind regards,
Stephen Allen