Diskless clients and yaboot

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Tue Apr 20 10:20:09 EST 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 12:45:46PM -0300, Erlon Cruz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>       I'm trying to boot up disk-less clients in a Power5 environment.
> The disk-less clients are virtual machines (LPARs) inside a virtual network,
> and only have memory and a network interface.
>       I have a NFS server running along with all services (DHCPD, TFTPD)
> needed to boot up a diskless client. The clients can get and IP he
> address through DHCP, load the kernel (which was compiled with NFS-root,
> dhcp autoconfiguration, and the NIC's modules build in ) and execute it. But
> the kernel is not able to find the NFS-root even when I send the correct
> nfs-root option through DHCP and stucks with the following message:
>
> ____
> Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up.
> VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy.
> VFS: Cannot open root device "(null)" or unknown-block(2,0)
> Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available options:
> Kernel panic - not syncing:
> Call Trace:
> ____
>
>       In my understanding, this is happening because I need to pass/append
> some kernel options (like is done in PXE/syslinux). But, I can' t figure out
> how to pass these options.

Can you supply the yaboot.conf you're using?  You should just be able to add an
append="..." to the right stanza to get what you need.

It's quite possible that your kernel also need an initrd to find and load the
driver for your veth.

In short what you're doing shoudl work fine, we just need to tweak your setup.

Yours Tony