Dual Boot on a PS3

John Frankish frankish at dubai.oilfield.slb.com
Sun Nov 16 17:54:47 EST 2008

Hi,

I'm using ydl-6 on a playstation 3 and would like to set up a dual
boot using yaboot.

The ps3 has the default ydl-6 partitioning:

ps3da1 = boot (or bootstrap?) partition
ps3da2 = root partition
ps3da3 = swap

I've compiled a cross linux-from-scratch build under /clfs on ps3da2
and would like to modify yaboot.conf to be able to have the option to
boot from /clfs - note that clfs uses /clfs/sbin/pre-init to take
care of the fact that the build is not under the root ("/") directory.

Is it possible to modify yaboot.conf to achieve the above? I don't
have much experience with ppc/yaboot (as opposed to x86/grub) and the
yaboot.conf below doesn't work for clfs, but does work for the
kernels on ydl-6.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

John
--------------

# yaboot.conf generated by anaconda
boot=/dev/ps3da
init-message=Welcome to YDL!\nHit <TAB> for boot options
partition=1
timeout=80
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
delay=5
enablecdboot
enableofboot
enablenetboot
nonvram
mntpoint=/boot/yaboot
usemount
default=linux

image=/vmlinux-2.6.23-9.ydl6.1
          label=linux
          read-only
          initrd=/initrd-2.6.23-9.ydl6.1.img
          append="video=ps3fb:mode:13 rhgb quiet root=LABEL=/"

image=/vmlinux-2.6.27.4-vram
          label=2.6.27.4-vram
          read-only
          initrd=/initrd-2.6.27.4-vram.img
          append="video=ps3fb:mode:13 rhgb quiet root=LABEL=/"

image=/clfs/boot/clfskernel-2.6.27.4
          label=clfs
          read-only
          append"/clfs/sbin/pre-init"
          append="video=ps3fb:mode:13 rhgb quiet root=/dev/ps3da2/clfs"