Attn Developers, ofpath still broken with serial ATA disks, more details

tidris tidris769 at cox.net
Thu Jun 22 08:38:24 EST 2006

Hopefully the developers will see this.

My machine is dual G5 2 GHz with two Serial ATA disks. I run ubuntu
6.06.

I have been tinkering with ofpath to see why it produces bad output
for /dev/sda and /dev/sdb on my machine. I used the latest ofpath from
gt. From what I have seen there appears to be two problems.

The first problem seems to be that ofpath is looking for string
"k2-sata" in "compatible" files, but on my machine the relevant
"compatible" file contains "k2-s-ata" instead. Note the extra dash.
Because of that ofpath is never able to find a "compatible" file for the
serial ATA devices.

The second problem seems to be that ofpath expects to find one
"compatible" file for each serial ATA device, but on my computer there
is only one "compatible" file for both devices and it is at the wrong
level in the file tree. On my machine I have this file:

/proc/device-tree/ht at 0,f2000000/pci at 7/k2-sata-root at c/compatible

However these files do not exist:

/proc/device-tree/ht at 0,f2000000/pci at 7/k2-sata-root at c/k2-sata at 0/compatible
/proc/device-tree/ht at 0,f2000000/pci at 7/k2-sata-root at c/k2-sata at 1/compatible

If more information is needed let me know and I will happy to provide as
much as I can.