Kubuntu Breezy PPC yaboot newbie help needed.

Paul Nasrat pnasrat at redhat.com
Fri Feb 10 04:17:24 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 17:27 +0100, Brian Durant wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I understand that yaboot has a bug in it, so the yaboot.conf file
> doesn't set the path correctly. I have also been trying to bone up on
> Open Firmware. and understand that using the command "devalias" in
> Open Firmware, gives you a list of all of the aliases, so that
> creating a correct path name to get yaboot to boot into OS X
> correctly, is a little easier.

> I just can't figure out how to save
> the output of the command "devalias" to a file on my OS X HD, so that
> I can compare the paths with a copy of my yaboot.conf file. I also
> don't understand where the alias should be placed. I have studied a
> number of the Apple Kowledge Base files on Open Firmware, but don't
> get much out of them. This stuff is written for developers and isn't
> easy for a newbie to New World Macs and Linux to figure out. Can
> anyone on the list help?

Sure - what you probably want is a patched ofpath. I've sent out a link
earlier - but that may have been before you subscribed.

In the system
ofpath /dev/sda
ofpath /dev/sdb

I assume ofpath is in /sbin (which ofpath as root will tell you).

mv /sbin/ofpath /sbin/ofpath.orig, cd /sbin; wget -P .
http://people.redhat.com/pnasrat/ofpath ; chmod 755 ofpath

Try the two commands again.  Then run ybin -v

Let me know the output and if it starts to work for you

Paul