Kubuntu Breezy PPC yaboot newbie help needed.

Brian Durant RoadTripDK at MyRealBox.Com
Fri Feb 10 03:27:04 EST 2006

Hi,

I understand that yaboot has a bug in it, so the yaboot.conf file
doesn't set the path correctly. I have also been trying to bone up on
Open Firmware. and understand that using the command "devalias" in
Open Firmware, gives you a list of all of the aliases, so that
creating a correct path name to get yaboot to boot into OS X
correctly, is a little easier. I just can't figure out how to save
the output of the command "devalias" to a file on my OS X HD, so that
I can compare the paths with a copy of my yaboot.conf file. I also
don't understand where the alias should be placed. I have studied a
number of the Apple Kowledge Base files on Open Firmware, but don't
get much out of them. This stuff is written for developers and isn't
easy for a newbie to New World Macs and Linux to figure out. Can
anyone on the list help?

I have Kubuntu Breezy PPC installed on SATA drive #1 and OS X
installed on SATA drive #2. both are internal HD's. Here is my yaboot
conf file:

## yaboot.conf generated by the Ubuntu installer
##
## run: "man yaboot.conf" for details. Do not make changes until you
have!!
## see also: /usr/share/doc/yaboot/examples for example configurations.
##
## For a dual-boot menu, add one or more of:
## bsd=/dev/hdaX, macos=/dev/hdaY, macosx=/dev/hdaZ

boot=/dev/sda2
device=/ht at 0,f2000000/pci at 3/k2-sata-root at c/k2-sata at 0/disk at 0:
partition=3
root=/dev/sda3
timeout=100
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot