Patch to allow netbooting with IBM JS21 GA3 firmware

Paul Nasrat pnasrat at redhat.com
Sat Aug 4 00:33:24 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 08:59 -0400, Andrew Wray wrote:
> I basically had to change the arguments being passed into the open
> method of obp-tftp from <device>,<filename> to
> because I couldn't get giaddr to come back correctly from
> prom_get_netinfo() ). I just tried this with pre GA3 firmware on JS21,
> BTW, and it did work.

According to the 1275 working group recommended practices document "TFTP
Booting Extensions, Version 1.0, August 29, 1998":

4.1. arguments to the obp-tftp open method
The open method of the obp-tftp support package shall support the
following arguments:

  [bootp,]siaddr,filename,ciaddr,giaddr,bootp-retries,tftp-retries

All of the arguments are optional. The external format of the siaddr,
ciaddr and giaddr fields are Internet-standard “dotted-decimal”
notation.

How is requiring all arguments not a firmware bug on your GA3 firmware?

How does just loading a simple hello world forth script over the network
directly from OF behave with OF debugging, can you give me the output
of:

boot enet:,\hello.fth

hello.fth can contain something like:
."Hello, World" cr

Assuming you have the tftp server on the dhcp server and hello.fth is in
the root of the tftp server (eg /tftpboot/hello.fth if you're using
-s /tftpboot and hpa tftp)

Paul