Patch to allow netbooting with IBM JS21 GA3 firmware

Andrew Wray andywray at us.ibm.com
Fri Aug 3 22:59:27 EST 2007

I basically had to change the arguments being passed into the open method
of obp-tftp from <device>,<filename> to
I couldn't get giaddr to come back correctly from prom_get_netinfo() ).  I
just tried this with pre GA3 firmware on JS21, BTW, and it did work.

Thanks,

Andy Wray

             Doug Maxey
             <dwm at enoyolf.org>
             08/03/2007 12:19          Andrew Wray/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS
                                       yaboot-devel at ozlabs.org, Jarrod B
                                       Johnson/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS, Paulo
                                       Ricardo Paz Vital
                                       <pvital at br.ibm.com>, Egan Ford/Salt
                                       Lake City/IBM at IBMUS
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Patch to allow netbooting with
                                       IBM JS21 GA3 firmware

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 20:50:02 EDT, Andrew Wray wrote:

> Between the GA2 and GA3 firmware on IBM JS21 blades, a change was made
that
> prevents yaboot from loading its configuration file over the network with
> the newer firmware.  The following patches fix the problem (with the
> exception of the scenario for booting across a router).  This has been
> tested on JS21 with GA3 firwmare, but not on JS21 with GA2 firmware or
any
> other systems yet.

Oh my. Give us a boot string that illustrates the problem!  JS21 is not
the only pseries that has new firmware behaviour.  Once the new syntax
requirements are understood, you should be able to boot from a config
file on the server with pre GA3 and GA3 firmware without issue.