[Skiboot] Fast reboot functionality

Artem Senichev artemsen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 21:10:57 AEST 2018

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 9:28 PM Stewart Smith <stewart at linux.ibm.com> wrote:
> Artem Senichev <artemsen at gmail.com> writes:
> > I have already tried to increase the default timeout, this doesn't work.
> > Even if I set really big value - the system just hangs.
> > Actually, it was broken some months ago, so I think 'git bisect' will
> > be a long story, but I don't have a choice :)
> > Anyway, thank you for the advice!
>
> If you want to automate it, you could try using op-test (
> https://github.com/open-power/op-test-framework ) and specifically,
> running with "--run testcases.OpTestFastReboot.OpTestFastReboot", you
> can set up a small script to do "git bisect run" by invoking op-test to
> flash the skiboot image and try to see if fast reboot works.

I found out that the problem is related to using the Linux kernel 4.17
and higher,
the fast reboot functionality was broken after commit
https://github.com/open-power/op-build/commit/8c2a50958956296df2e64135b9e586f3bca168b4
(kernel: Move to Linux 4.17.0-openpower1)

The problem affected all host's systems with the Linux Kernel 4.17 and newer.
I have checked the latest op-build (27 Sep) with old Linux Kernel
4.16.9 - everything works fine.

This bug is already registered, I have added some info to it:
https://github.com/open-power/skiboot/issues/185

Regards,
Artem Senichev
Software Engineer, YADRO.