[Skiboot] OpenPower gard tool rework

Cyril Bur cyrilbur at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 10:28:41 AEDT 2017

On Wed, 2017-11-08 at 19:59 +1100, Oliver O'Halloran wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This series contains a substantial rework of the OpenPower gard tool.
> The main additions being:

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for the series, looks like a sweet cleanup. The tool has been
needing some cleanup for some time.

As far as I can tell you haven't changed the fundamental way it
reads/writes (in fact you've forced the use of MTD which is a good
thing). The reason I ask this is that I'm getting increasingly keen on
an OPAL call to get gard records/partitions (details to be worked out),
think the way we currently do NVRAM. I can't see any reason why your
improvements make a transition to an OPAL call to get data harder but I
thought I'd ask.

> 	a) The ability to create GARD records
> 	b) Support for Power 9

Is there any way we detect a default programatically?

> 	c) Support for running on ARM (i.e BMCs)
> 	d) Nicer output for the list subcommand.
> 	e) A basic understanding of where to find GUARD on OpenBMC
>            with vPNOR.
>
> This also does substantial (but incomplete) reworks of the internals of the
> tool to make it a bit easier to work with.
>
> Record creation has only been lightly tested, but it seems to work
> provided the user targets a hardware unit that actually exists which
> is good enough for me.

As long as you're happy to deal with the fallout when people discover
this (record creation) is a thing and start doing dumb things with it
then thumbs up!