[Skiboot] skiboot + AFL fuzz test for 'libstb' unit tests

rnsastry rnsastry at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Oct 26 16:55:22 AEDT 2016

Hi,

I am trying to do fuzz test with American Fuzzy Lop (AFL) on
‘libstb’ unit tests.

Here is what I am trying,

On a Ubuntu 16.04 guest running on Mac.

AFL Setup:
apt-get install build-essential wget git llvm clang flex bison
mkdir $HOME/afl
cd $HOME/afl
wget -N http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/afl/releases/afl-latest.tgz
tar xz afl-latest.tgz
make
cd llvm_mode
make

skiboot Setup:
git clone https://github.com/open-power/skiboot
cd skiboot
make HOSTCC=$HOME/afl/afl-clang-fast        # this built all the
binaries, except 'extract-gcov’.
make check CC=$HOME/afl/afl-clang-fast       # Here have to use CC, with
HOSTCC make check didn’t work.

make check couldn’t compile the following. But compiled ‘libstb’
unit tests. So proceeding further.
~skiboot/test/hello_world/Makefile.check:21: recipe for target
'test/hello_world/hello_kernel/hello_kernel.o' failed
make: *** [test/hello_world/hello_kernel/hello_kernel.o] Error 1

Run AFL:
I want to run ‘libstb' unit test named 'print-stb-container’, for
this a container file need to be passed as argument.

Created /tmp/in and /tmp/out directories required for AFL as input and
output.
Copied ‘cappubin’ container files to /tmp/in

Tried running afl using the following command,
$HOME/afl/afl-fuzz -i /tmp/in -o /tmp/out --
libstb/test/print-stb-container @@

but this throws error
[-] PROGRAM ABORT : No instrumentation detected

am I missing some thing to instrument ‘print-stb-container’?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
R.Nageswara Sastry