[Skiboot] Device Tree warnings from Firmware Test Suite

Cyril Bur cyril.bur at au1.ibm.com
Wed May 25 16:49:49 AEST 2016

On Tue, 17 May 2016 12:07:38 +0800
Jeremy Kerr <jk at ozlabs.org> wrote:

> Hi Deb,
>
> > device tree: Warning (reg_format): "reg" property in /ibm,opal/flash at 0 has
> > invalid length (8 bytes) (#address-cells == 0, #size-cells == 0)
>
> Thanks for the catch there.
>
> Cyril: this is the flash nodes - looks like we'll need to follow the
> same convention that the console devices use - a /ibm,opal/flash/
> top-level node (with a different address-cells), and each flash device
> under that. Will that break any userspace assumptions about the node
> paths, for things like opal-prd?

Hi Jeremy,

After some looking I found that userspace looks for the the node in chosen
"/proc/device-tree/chosen/ibm,system-flash" which is a link to flash at 0, it all
works fine if flash at 0 is in a flash/ directory. The link creation works as
expected.

Problem! Because it is now in a subdir opal_init() in Linux no longer registers
platform devices which means that powernv-flash is never loaded. This WILL
break userspace. Interestingly but as an aside if powernv-flash is loaded
manually it will appear to work (no error message in dmesg) but never actually create an MTD.