[Skiboot] ABI/API Changes for POWER9

Michael Neuling mikey at neuling.org
Thu Jun 23 17:00:30 AEST 2016

On Thu, 2016-06-23 at 15:33 +1000, Stewart Smith wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm starting to collect a list of things we want to change with
> P9. Anything that's currently in P8 can be changed as we're going to
> have an ABI break with the host kernel anyway (due to the chip). We may
> not get this opportunity again for another few decades... so anything
> that isn't clean and nice in the current OPAL API, we should think about
> changing *now*.
>
> I started a doc/opal-api/power9-changes.txt with a TODO list... anybody
> got something to add?
>
> I've started a discussion as part of the OpenPOWER Foundation System
> Software Workgroup on error logging (see my soon-to-be-made post to the
> openpower-firmware list).

I'm not sure this counts, but the cpuidle patches change some device tree
entries.

Basically ibm,cpu-idle-state-pmicr -> ibm,cpu-idle-state-psscr but this is
to reflect that it fundamentally changes between p8 and p9 in the
architecture.  So the old p8 one was never going to work on p9 or visa
versa.

We document them in doc/device-tree/ibm,opal/power-mgt.txt

Mikey