[Skiboot] [RFC 0/3] More FFS capabilities

Cyril Bur cyril.bur at au1.ibm.com
Fri Apr 29 09:21:22 AEST 2016

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 18:16:28 +1000
Stewart Smith <stewart at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> Cyril Bur <cyril.bur at au1.ibm.com> writes:
> > These patches do the basic work to get libffs to be able to create entire FFS
> > images. I've also worked on a tool to actually be able to do this.
> >
> > I would appreciate people taking a look. I consider the first two patches
> > fairly polished.
>
> From a relatively brief look, things look good.
>
> Anything missing from being able to rip out all the bad ffs utils from
> op-build?

Yeah, sides, functional backup TOC(s) and dealing with the XML. I believe I
solved the sides and backup TOCs last night, it was more of an exercise in doing
that neatly within what I've already got more than anything else.

I have a simple perl script (because we can't just get rid of ALL the perl) to
parse the XML into CSV. Few reasons for not doing that in ffs_part, mostly
because I'm not in the business of parsing XML in C but also and as a
compounding reason, the XML doesn't provide a mapping between PART and data
file, I prefer that a simple perl script can have that hardcoded rather than
ffs_part.

Although I'm now thinking perhaps we should call ffs_part simply to make the
TOCs and use pflash to write the data for each section... feels more Unix
'chain the tools together' philosophy.