[rhype] error booting 2.6.11

Jimi Xenidis jimix at watson.ibm.com
Sat Mar 12 23:13:53 EST 2005

 SS> okay, so --with-controlling-os has to be "controller"
um no, but the controlling OS must a a stripped non-elf binary that
has intimate knowledge of working with the HV, the linux kernel is not
one of those OSes.  Instead of teaching the linux kernel how to do
this we put all that knowledge in a custom "boot strapper".

 SS> and we can specify linux boot image using
 SS> --with-controller-images.

You can specify a list of OSes, a linux beingone of them.

 SS> I tried configuring with
 SS>   ../rhype/configure --enable-thinwire --with-serial-baudrate=9600
 SS> --with-controlling-os=/home/sushant/hypervisor/build/test/controller

The make system gets this last one right so you don't need it

 SS> --with-controller-images=/home/sushant/hypervisor/vmlinux

 SS> I saw
 >> Choose one of the following images.

 SS> and linux image was not among the options given.

hmm did you update your controller.bin in your grub dir?
in your build you should have seen something like:
  bash .../rhype/test/datapkg.sh -o images_table.c  -O elf32-i386 -B i386 /home/sushant/hypervisor/vmlinux yield ipcmon termIO henter hcow hintr busyloop fpu print check_time time_intr time_intr_yield

Note the vmlinux is first, did that not occur?

 SS> so I added --enable-reloader while configuring rhype and got the
 SS> following error

So all of the above should work, but don;t exepct vmlinux to run yet.
On x86 there is another piece that you need to wrap around you vmlinux
and I have omitted it. I'll get that out ASAP with some supporting
docs.

-JX