petitboot ppc64le woes

Sam Mendoza-Jonas sam at mendozajonas.com
Tue Mar 3 04:23:57 AEDT 2020

On Mon, 2020-03-02 at 17:13 +0000, Wuestefeld, Peter wrote:
> Hi Sam,
>
> Found your presentation about petitboot and thought you might be the
> one who can help me …
>
> As I’m tearing out all my hair right now – would it be possible that
> yo

Hi Peter, no worries! I've CC'd in the Petitboot mailing list too to
add some extra eyes.

> u have a look at that situation and can give me a hint?
>
> -          Two IBM LC922 servers
> -          RHEL 7.6 installed
> -          Basic installation was bare disk + LVM
> -          Tried to move that installation to a mirrored one
> (create mdX’ with “missing” , move over the contents of the
> installation via copy resp. pvmove
> -          Rebuild initramfs wikt md drivers, md uuids
> -          grub2-install, grub2-mkconfig ran without any errors
>
> … tried to boot.
>
> And petitboot does not offer me the option to boot from md devices.
> If I “Exit to shell” and issue
>
> # mdadm –assemble –scan
>
> Petitboot finds two arrays. Exiting from the shell I see the md
> device offered to boot and I can boot the installation successfully.
>
> What did I miss with configuring? How do I tell petitboot to
> automatically activate the bootable arrays by issuing sth with the
> same effects as the mdadm cmd line above?

What Petitboot version are your servers running? (Usually located at
the top of the screen). It's possible Petitboot is being a bit
simplistic in its RAID detection and you're helping it along with the
extra mdadm call.
Also if you run the pb-sos tool from the command line it will collect
up a bunch of relevant logs which we can have a look at.

Cheers,
Sam