[OpenPower-Firmware] Firmware Sim help

Marty E. Plummer hanetzer at startmail.com
Tue Oct 6 21:48:23 AEDT 2020

On Tue, Oct 06, 2020 at 10:45:03AM +0200, Cédric Le Goater wrote:
> On 10/6/20 10:36 AM, Marty E. Plummer wrote:

> >> I just increased the maximum size of fw to 16MB, in mainline and in the
> >> powernv-5.2 branch.
> >>
> > Yeah, I see that, but unless I'm mistaken it still tries to grab the
> > skiboot partition, even if I set the rom size to 16mb.
>
> If you pass a drive, yes, but you should use '-bios' to pass your own loader.
>
> Here is how we start a 'hostboot' like FW, with a PNOR :
>
> $qemu -machine powernv9,hb-mode=true -smp 1 -m 10 \
>       -bios $hbb -drive file=./witherspoon.pnor,format=raw,if=mtd \
>       -serial mon:stdio -nographic -nodefaults
>
> This will also set HRMOR to 0x8000000.

In addition to my prior statement about hb-mode requiring a PNOR-formatted
flash image, assuming I pass HBB to $hbb above, and it does its normal
execution path, will it adjust the hrmor & memory ranges automatically?

This seems quite useful for my debugging and development going forward,
thank you.