[OpenPower-Firmware] A few questions about early hostboot

Stewart Smith stewart at flamingspork.com
Mon Sep 2 02:46:32 AEST 2019

On Sun, Sep 1, 2019, at 8:07 AM, Marty E. Plummer wrote:
> I have a few additional questions about early hostboot on the power9
> platform.
>
> I know pdbg has a gdbserver which currently only works on p8 and linux
> kernel (though I may be misinterpreting the latter half). I assume the
> lack of power9 support is just some missing code for now, but I wonder
> about only supporting the linux kernel. Is there some deep-seated reason
> one could not use gbdserver on hostboot itself? It could be very useful
> for early debugging.

There's a different way of sucking out memory contents that you need to use when raining cache contained.

Once that's implemented, then you could dump out memory contents of early hostboot and it should be possible to use all the hostboot debugging utilities with pdbg, and maybe get a gdbserver going.