[OpenPower-Firmware] [POWER8] OCC Firdata over IPMI

Artem Senichev artemsen at gmail.com
Thu May 23 19:28:34 AEST 2019

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 10:10:38AM +0930, Andrew Jeffery wrote:
> Hi Artem,
>
> Snipping somewhat, I'll let Doug dig into the specifics of the OCC issue as he
> implemented the IPMI HIOMAP support for it.
>
> On Wed, 22 May 2019, at 17:13, Artem Senichev wrote:
>
> > We have HIOMAP support for our bundle (OpenBMC+OpenPOWER), it looks like
> > the entire solution works fine except the OCC project, it is the last
> > component that directly writes data to the PNOR flash.
> >

> Great to hear the rest works for you. Just for your awareness you may need to
> pick up a couple of patches depending on what firmwares you're running: [1]
> to fix a data write corruption issue in skiboot and [2] to resolve a memory leak
> in OpenBMC. These are the critical issues, but there are further sets of skiboot
> and OpenBMC patches that I recommend to avoid lockups. I can point you to
> them if necessary.

Yes, please. May be these patches will solve my second problem :)
We have a (dead?) lock situation in skiboot. I'm not sure that
this affects other skiboot's code, but I can't send PCI device list
from skiboot to OpenBMC - the system freezes at ipmi_queue_msg_sync():

https://github.com/open-power/skiboot/blob/76f7316bc8fc8a18fdbfcbc0e1fe1bb992d2a7d7/core/ipmi.c#L177

Usually, system hangs after sending 3-5 of my messages. I have added
trace to core/ipmi.c - it ends up with two calls to 'lock(&sync_lock)',
one for my message and another one for HIOMAP.
As workaround, I use asynchronous sending with increased IPMI message queue
size, but it's not a good solution.

> On the skiboot side, master contains all the fixes we have needed so far, and
> everything except for [3] is contained in the v6.3 tag. OpenBMC master has
> all its respective fixes included.
>
> Bit of a tangent, but I hope it helps.
>
> Andrew
>
> [1] https://github.com/open-power/skiboot/commit/7f291166283f
> [2] https://github.com/openbmc/hiomapd/commit/fac3689e77d3
> [3] https://github.com/open-power/skiboot/commit/f01cd777adb1

We already have these patches in our build, thanks.

--
Regards,
Artem Senichev