[OpenPower-Firmware] Contributing Back: PNOR-contained HTX

Tyler Seredynski tyler at rtds.com
Fri May 19 01:28:52 AEST 2017

Hello openpower-firmware members,

This is my first time emailing this list so apologies if I somehow miss-use the list.

The company I work for has just finished a product release based on the P8 and now that our workload is less we'd like to see if anything we've done could be of value to the open-power community. For context we used the P8 for an embedded real-time application which runs bare-metal. I spoke with Stewart Smith and he recommended I contact the mailing list regarding one possible contribution.

I have included a PDF that describes a PNOR we developed that packages a subset of HTX, a suite of test tools provided on the OpenPOWER github (that I believe you might be familiar with), into a PNOR instead of relying on external storage access to download/install/run HTX. This might be helpful to future embedded developers like us who are working with POWER chips on a system with limited hardware. Stewart saw some potential in it for future work towards a tiny embedded environment that could run HTX but not require an installed OS with HTX.

I have cleaned up the build environment and have it targeting the Palmetto platform as that was a "standard" system we have available here for testing. I know it is an older design but hopefully as a standard it can be easily ported to other platforms.

I am interested to hear feedback on how our development could benefit the community. Also if anyone has recommendations on what upstream repository might be most suitable for such a tool I would appreciate hearing them, such as buildroot versus op-build. This is our first time making a contribution to an open-source project so any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Tyler Seredynski
--