[OpenPower-Firmware] Building on x86 host

Stewart Smith stewart at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Nov 4 09:51:33 AEDT 2016

Bill Alexander <bill at ohwah.com> writes:
> It's unclear to me from looking through the documentation and some of the
> files in
>
>     https://github.com/open-power/op-build
>
> whether op-build supports cross-compilation from an x86 host.
>
> I'd like to be able to build the firmware from my laptop.  Maybe there's a
> Vagrant environment (or similar) with the PPC cross-compiler and
> binutils already installed?

It's even better: buildroot (what op-build uses) will build you a cross
compiler!

It's totally possible to cross compile from x86, I do it all the time
(although if you're host has really modern GCC, you may hit
https://github.com/open-power/op-build/pull/721/ )

--
Stewart Smith
OPAL Architect, IBM.