[OpenPower-Firmware] Building on x86 host

Joel Stanley joel at jms.id.au
Fri Nov 4 09:50:47 AEDT 2016

Hello Bill,

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 8:18 AM, Bill Alexander <bill at ohwah.com> wrote:
> It's unclear to me from looking through the documentation and some of the
> files in
>
>     https://github.com/open-power/op-build
>
> whether op-build supports cross-compilation from an x86 host.

Yes. This is the way most of our developers do their work. We also
build on ppc64le regularly.

> I'd like to be able to build the firmware from my laptop.  Maybe there's a
> Vagrant environment (or similar) with the PPC cross-compiler and binutils
> already installed?

The op-build environment creates the toolchains required for cross
compiling. You simply need a machine with GCC and a few other tools:

 https://github.com/open-power/op-build/blob/master/README.md#dependancies-for-64-bit-ubuntudebian-systems

We build regularly on RHEL 6 and any modern Ubuntu or Fedora.

Cheers,

Joel