Linux kernel updates and v6.0

William Kennington wak at google.com
Thu Sep 29 08:30:23 AEST 2022

The ToF was talking about linux versions being used for OpenBMC users and
we were wondering if we could codify a policy around which versions we will
be developing against regularly. In the past it seems like you usually pick
LTS releases to base on (and Facebook / Google are interested in sticking
with LTS releases in order to reduce toil / number of potentially
incompatible kernel upgrades for each of our machines). It would seem like
kernel 6.0 should be an LTS release, although gregkh hasn't said anything
specifically about it yet. Can we get something written about the expected
alignment with upstream kernel release cadence?