SATA hotplug notifications for BMC inventory updates

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 01:32:31 AEST 2022

Hello Jason,

Thank you very much for the reply, please see inline.

On Fri, Sep 09, 2022 at 03:19:45PM -0600, Bills, Jason M wrote:
> > The transition to RAID controller has initiated an investigation into
> > what Intel may be willing to enable regarding OBMC.
>
> I have reached out to some of our RAID team internally.  They have a
> software-based management solution that they use, today, but it only covers
> NVMe-MI based drives.
>
> I also asked about documentation that may help with this, but since they
> only support NVMe-MI, they don't have much info about SATA support.

I have seen the Intel VROC slides [0], and they mention some
facilities for integration with BMCs. I assumed they're generic for
all the hardware handled by VROC (including SATA as RSTe was
apparently made part of VROC) but now that I re-read it, I see "NVMe
RAID BMC OOB management via OS, UEFI OOB management coming with Intel
VROC 8.0" is apparently NVMe-specific.

So even if this is not useful for Tioga Pass it would still be nice to
support this feature from OpenBMC side for the next generation
servers, and we plan to work on that.

> I'd als recommend contacting your Intel support representative to ask about
> relevant documentation.

Due to the horrible actions of Russia we are no longer permitted to
talk to the Intel support representatives. So we have to count on open
documentation and communication, and we are willing to share
everything useful with the OpenBMC upstream.

[0] https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/vroc-overview.pdf
mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com