SATA hotplug notifications for BMC inventory updates

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 01:05:05 AEST 2022

Hello Johnathan,

On Fri, Sep 09, 2022 at 07:12:21AM -0700, Johnathan Mantey wrote:
> What I'm trying to convey is that as a contract worker I have access to some
> information I may not be authorized to divulge. This is a public forum, and I
> need to tread carefully so that I don't divulge information that impacts my
> employment.

Thank you for the reply, it's now all pretty clear to me, much
appreciated.

> The starting point for this conversation was HDD insertion/removal event
> detection.
> Which then evolved to HDD MFR/Model Num access.

Manufacturer, model and serial number are all needed for proper
inventory. I mentioned hotplug events because cold plug is not
problematic at all: UEFI can enumerate all the devices and send
information via IPMB to BMC on startup.

> Which then evolved into RAID controllers.

That also follows naturally as when the storage is attached to a RAID
controller, or an HBA in non-RAID mode, or handled by Intel VROC the
BMC might need to communicate with them to show accurate
inventory. And if we're talking to a controller anyway it's nice to
implement RAID management as well. And I know that's working with
other BMCs, so the hardware connections must be there already, we just
need to write software to make use of them.

mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com