changes to phosphor-debug-collector plugins

Jayanth Othayoth ojayanth at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 20:25:59 AEDT 2022

On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 5:34 PM Devender Rao <devenrao at in.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am planning to deprecate/remove some of the dump plugins as some of the
> commands are no longer valid or have been captured as part of other plugins.
>
> Remove altfwprintenv
> <https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-debug-collector/blob/master/tools/dreport.d/plugins.d/altfwprintenv>
>  plugin
> This plugin caters to capturing "Alt-Flash: U-Boot environment variables"
> and it is applicable to systems that have 2 BMC chips.
>
> https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-debug-collector/blob/master/tools/dreport.d/plugins.d/altfwprintenv
> pushed the following commit
> https://gerrit.openbmc.org/c/openbmc/phosphor-debug-collector/+/52943/21

Prefers @adriana's alternative approach in the review instead of removing
this
"I'm ok with it being removed, an alternative would be to leave it but do
not print the error message if the file doesn't exist. The only system that
currently supports the alternate environment is witherspoon, don't think
this has being used for debug for the CI machines."

> Consolidating network-related plugins, moving the ipaddr, iplink plugins
> to network plugin
> Removing
> https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-debug-collector/blob/master/tools/dreport.d/plugins.d/ipaddr
> Removing
> https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-debug-collector/blob/master/tools/dreport.d/plugins.d/iplink
> adding functionality from above plugins onto network plugin
> https://gerrit.openbmc.org/c/openbmc/phosphor-debug-collector/+/52891/22
>
> The design direction we used for plugin is to keep functionality specific
to plugins to support user to attach only required plugins to dump types or
systems. Consolidating multiple functionalities into single plugin is going
to break this fundamental design point, unless there is strong reason for
removing these mini type plugins from the dump.

> Remove
> https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-debug-collector/blob/master/tools/dreport.d/plugins.d/servicestatus plugin
> as it
> is a time-consuming operation and as we already have
> https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-debug-collector/blob/master/tools/dreport.d/plugins.d/failedservices plugin
> which
> collects failed services details.
> https://gerrit.openbmc.org/c/openbmc/phosphor-debug-collector/+/53082/13
>
> I have already  requeted  to change your initial  commit “
https://gerrit.openbmc.org/c/openbmc/phosphor-debug-collector/+/52468” to
print masked services , instead of general status.  Looks like  Andrew
requested to add this support , please use git revert feature to remove
your initial commit instead of pushing new commit to delete the file.
Please refer
https://gerrit.openbmc.org/c/openbmc/phosphor-debug-collector/+/52468/comment/570e2916_90fcaa89/
for more details.

If anyone has dependencies in automation scripts or has a need for them or