Security Working Group meeting - Wednesday October 12

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Tue Nov 22 00:19:14 AEDT 2022

On Fri, Nov 18, 2022 at 08:00:25AM -0500, James Bottomley wrote:

> I thought I should note here that I can't join this meeting because I
> can't get a discord account.  I'm not sure it's a huge loss because I'm
> only advising on the TPM pieces of the current IBM Research OpenBMC
> effort, but I mention it just in case this problem is excluding anyone
> else from the meetings and because it is a discriminatory decision of a
> proprietary platform which is impeding collaboration.
>
> When I try to sign up for a discord account it insists on a phone
> number verification (OK, annoying, but lots of other proprietary silos
> do this as well, so not unusual).  My problem is it won't accept any of
> the phone numbers I possess because they're all VOIP ones (I switched
> to using VOIP for my phones [both mobile and land line] decades ago
> because I've got family in several countries around the world and have
> moved around as well so keeping all my numbers and in-country local
> ones for family was a trick only VOIP could do in the early days).
> There appears to be no basis for discord's discrimination against VOIP
> other than the company running the silo also provides VOIP services and
> presumably doesn't like the competition.  Now I could go out and buy a
> non-VOIP SIM chip for my mobile just for this, but these are hoops I
> shouldn't have to be forced to jump through to participate in an open
> source project.

Hello James,

It is unfortunate you are having issues.  It isn't our intention to
block anyone and this is the first time I've heard this complaint
(regarding phone number activation).  There is a setting our Discord
servers that can be used to block people who do not have phone
activation, but I do not have that enabled.  The anti-spam setting I
have enabled is:
   - "Medium" :
      * Require verified email address.
      * Must be registered for 5 minutes.

The only one that requires a verified phone number is "Highest".

To test out what you are describing I did the following:

   - Navigated to our invite link under Incognito (to avoid Discord
     seeing my normal login):
         https://discord.openbmc.org (or)
         https://discord.gg/69Km47zH98

   - Clicked "Register".  Filled out "myemail+burner at gmail.com", a
     username, password, and an arbitrary date of birth that is more
     than 18 years old.

   - Dealt with the captchas.

At this point I could see the OpenBMC server but not post anything.
There was a message that I needed to verify my email.  I went to gmail
and opened the email link in the same incognito session and then
refreshed the Discord tab.  Then it gave a message that I needed to wait
5 minutes after registering and proceeded with a count down.  After 5
minutes I was able to both post and join the meeting channels.

Please give this a try and feel free to reach out directly if you are
still running into issues.

--
Patrick Williams