Security Working Group meeting - Wednesday October 12

James Bottomley jejb at linux.ibm.com
Sat Nov 19 00:00:25 AEDT 2022

> === MEETING ACCESS ON DISCORD VOICE  ===
> First, join Discord via https://discord.gg/69Km47zH98
> <https://discord.gg/69Km47zH98> and confirm via email.
> Then, to join: navigate Discord > OpenBMC > Voice channels >
> Security ~
> https://discord.com/channels/775381525260664832/1002376534377635860
> <https://discord.com/channels/775381525260664832/1002376534377635860>

I thought I should note here that I can't join this meeting because I
can't get a discord account.  I'm not sure it's a huge loss because I'm
only advising on the TPM pieces of the current IBM Research OpenBMC
effort, but I mention it just in case this problem is excluding anyone
else from the meetings and because it is a discriminatory decision of a
proprietary platform which is impeding collaboration.

When I try to sign up for a discord account it insists on a phone
number verification (OK, annoying, but lots of other proprietary silos
do this as well, so not unusual).  My problem is it won't accept any of
the phone numbers I possess because they're all VOIP ones (I switched
to using VOIP for my phones [both mobile and land line] decades ago
because I've got family in several countries around the world and have
moved around as well so keeping all my numbers and in-country local
ones for family was a trick only VOIP could do in the early days).
There appears to be no basis for discord's discrimination against VOIP
other than the company running the silo also provides VOIP services and
presumably doesn't like the competition.  Now I could go out and buy a
non-VOIP SIM chip for my mobile just for this, but these are hoops I
shouldn't have to be forced to jump through to participate in an open
source project.

Regards,

James Bottomley