Performance: BMCWEB prioritizing URI response in multiple redfish clients environment

Ed Tanous edtanous at google.com
Thu Nov 17 03:29:21 AEDT 2022

On Wed, Nov 16, 2022 at 5:28 AM sharad yadav <sharad.openbmc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We are facing a delay(till 6seconds) in bmcweb URIs responses when there are multiple clients(4 in our case) performing GET requests in parallel on different URIs.

Can you elaborate on which URLs your clients are accessing?  Is this
on an upstream SHA1 of bmcweb?  Do said clients implement HTTP
keep-alive?  Keep-alive is important, because otherwise the bmc is
negotiating TLS for every request, which can be quite slow, especially
when done in parallel.

Can you put together an example script that reproduces the issue?

> We have a very important telemetry URI, used for thermal monitoring. On standalone, telemetry URI response is within 200ms.
> But with multiple clients, telemetry URI response reaches till 6seconds.
>
> Can we get help on how we can assign priority to our telemetry URI over other URIs in bmcweb?

I'm not sure how a priority system would work in this case.  Can you
elaborate on your idea?  There is currently no queue outside of the
TCP kernel, and async tasks in io_context.  Which queue were you
planning on assigning priorities to?