project wide changes to maintainer ACLs

Brad Bishop bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com
Wed Nov 2 07:25:46 AEDT 2022

On Tue, Nov 01, 2022 at 03:05:50PM -0500, Patrick Williams wrote:
>On Tue, Nov 01, 2022 at 03:39:27PM -0400, Brad Bishop wrote:
>
>> If I ignore GitHub and Gerrit project owners for a minute, I think the
>> ideal setup would be that everyone can leave a +1.  In order for a
>> change to be approved, all OWNERS of files touched must give a +1.  We
>> completely do away with +2.  No special groups or per-project access
>> rules are required for this.
>
>I'm not sure.
>
>a. Generally we don't want to wait for all OWNERS to give feedback.
>
>b. We typically want every touched file to have an owner to have given
>   "thumbs up".  ie, there has been a coverage by at least one reviewer.
>
>Maybe by "all OWNERS of files touched must give a +1" you meant (b)?

Yes I meant b.  Thanks for clarifying.

>I do see some value in differentiating between +1 and +2.  When I am a
>maintainer of a project, I'll sometimes review a commit and give it a +1
>in order to give indication that "this seems fine to me but I'd like to

I'm fairly sure I recall seeing comments like: what does it mean when a
maintainer gives a +1 so I'd guess this is a source of confusion for
people.  Maybe you could copy/paste a canned response in this
situation?

>see some more feedback on it".  Often I will suggest the people I'm
>looking to get deeper feedback from.  I have a Gerrit query that I check
>a few times a week ("status open label:Code-Review=+1,me") that I can
>use to check back if those deeper-reviewers never get to it so that the
>commit doesn't stall out.

Ok.. well, yeah if you are using +1/+2 in automation/queries then yeah
my canned response idea doesn't hold up.