project wide changes to maintainer ACLs

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Wed Nov 2 07:05:50 AEDT 2022

On Tue, Nov 01, 2022 at 03:39:27PM -0400, Brad Bishop wrote:

> If I ignore GitHub and Gerrit project owners for a minute, I think the
> ideal setup would be that everyone can leave a +1.  In order for a
> change to be approved, all OWNERS of files touched must give a +1.  We
> completely do away with +2.  No special groups or per-project access
> rules are required for this.

I'm not sure.

a. Generally we don't want to wait for all OWNERS to give feedback.

b. We typically want every touched file to have an owner to have given
   "thumbs up".  ie, there has been a coverage by at least one reviewer.

Maybe by "all OWNERS of files touched must give a +1" you meant (b)?

I do see some value in differentiating between +1 and +2.  When I am a
maintainer of a project, I'll sometimes review a commit and give it a +1
in order to give indication that "this seems fine to me but I'd like to
see some more feedback on it".  Often I will suggest the people I'm
looking to get deeper feedback from.  I have a Gerrit query that I check
a few times a week ("status open label:Code-Review=+1,me") that I can
use to check back if those deeper-reviewers never get to it so that the
commit doesn't stall out.

--
Patrick Williams