eMMC ABR behavior

Joel Stanley joel at jms.id.au
Wed May 25 10:51:25 AEST 2022

Hello Ryan,

We are testing eMMC ABR by corrupting the u-boot image. When the eMMC
ABR mode kicks in, we then boot as expected from the boot1 image. We
then restore the working boot0 image, and reboot the system, which
still boots into boot1. In order to boot from boot0 again we must
power cycle the system.

I see two scenarios:

1. This is expected. The BMC software is expected to recognise that
the ABR mode switch has occurred, and based on policy, configure the
ABR to go back to boot0 or raise an error.

2. This is unexpected. The BMC should always try that boot0 image on
each boot, from both a software reset or a power on reset. We should
add code to the kernel watchdog driver to ensure the ABR mode is reset
before system reboots.

Cheers,

Joel