Backporting approach for nct6775 kernel patches

Joel Stanley joel at jms.id.au
Thu May 19 17:57:19 AEST 2022

On Thu, 19 May 2022 at 07:39, Zev Weiss <zweiss at equinix.com> wrote:

> Hi Joel,
>
> My patches adding i2c support to the nct6775 hwmon driver are now in
> Guenter's hwmon-next tree, and so presumably will be included in the
> upcoming v5.19 merge window.  I'd like to get that functionality into
> the OpenBMC kernel so as to support my ASRock romed8hm3 port (the
> initial meta-layer patches are now on gerrit [1]), but it's a sizeable
> series, with a fair amount of intermediate changes to the same driver
> (between the current OpenBMC kernel and the start of my series)
> preceding it -- enough that rebasing just my changes back onto the
> dev-5.15 branch would be a bit of a headache.
>
> What do you think would be the best/easiest way to go about the
> backporting process?  I could just send the entire 22-patch series
> (including all the other preceding stuff) as is, though it seems like
> that might be a bit unwieldy (if you want to take a glance, I've pushed
> that to a branch based on the current dev-5.15 branch on github [2]).

Nice work on getting that done.

I'm fine taking them. I can take that branch you've pushed.

> Alternately, if you happen to be planning on bumping the OpenBMC kernel
> to a newer mainline release in the near-ish future that would reduce the
> amount of intermediate patches quite a bit, so I could just hold off and
> wait for that if so.

I would like to move to the v5.18 tree once it's out. It might end up
getting pushed out to v5.19 though, we will see. I haven't looked at
which of the two are going to be a long term stable tree, if any.

Cheers,

Joel