Backporting approach for nct6775 kernel patches

Zev Weiss zweiss at equinix.com
Thu May 19 17:39:41 AEST 2022

Hi Joel,

My patches adding i2c support to the nct6775 hwmon driver are now in
Guenter's hwmon-next tree, and so presumably will be included in the
upcoming v5.19 merge window.  I'd like to get that functionality into
the OpenBMC kernel so as to support my ASRock romed8hm3 port (the
initial meta-layer patches are now on gerrit [1]), but it's a sizeable
series, with a fair amount of intermediate changes to the same driver
(between the current OpenBMC kernel and the start of my series)
preceding it -- enough that rebasing just my changes back onto the
dev-5.15 branch would be a bit of a headache.

What do you think would be the best/easiest way to go about the
backporting process?  I could just send the entire 22-patch series
(including all the other preceding stuff) as is, though it seems like
that might be a bit unwieldy (if you want to take a glance, I've pushed
that to a branch based on the current dev-5.15 branch on github [2]).

Alternately, if you happen to be planning on bumping the OpenBMC kernel
to a newer mainline release in the near-ish future that would reduce the
amount of intermediate patches quite a bit, so I could just hold off and
wait for that if so.

Thanks,
Zev

[1] https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/q/topic:romed8hm3