Aspeed SPI driver upstreaming

Brad Bishop bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com
Tue May 17 04:18:24 AEST 2022

Hi Patrick

On Thu, Jan 09, 2020 at 10:43:17AM -0600, Patrick Williams wrote:
>It looks like this patch set is still the MTD-only implementation, which
>is useful for SPI-NOR chips but not useful for non-flash devices such as
>TPMs.  Is there any work or thought into how we could do a generic SPI
>controller and then layer the MTD above it?

I wonder if it is "just" a matter of implementing one of the low level
controller methods described here:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/spi/spi-summary.html?highlight=spi#spi-master-methods
along side the spi-mem callbacks...

>We have some system designs where we have both a NOR device and a TPM on
>the same SPI bus.  What we're currently doing is using the
>(non-upstream) aspeed-spi driver which lets us use both the TPM and
>MTD/SPI-NOR driver, but since it doesn't have the calibration routines
>the SPI-NOR runs at a slower speed than optimal.

Are you still using the aspeed-spi driver?  Have you had any issues with
using it?

Thanks,
Brad