Newbie question on Redfish URI resource names

John Broadbent jebr at google.com
Fri Jun 10 03:29:54 AEST 2022

Hello Jeff,

I am not an authority, but I will give you a quick answer for chassis ID.
For chassis bmcweb checks with the dbus mapper to find all daemon in
"/xyz/openbmc_project/inventory" that have either
the "xyz.openbmc_project.Inventory.Item.Board", or
the "xyz.openbmc_project.Inventory.Item.Chassis" interfaces. There are some
extra checks and information, but that is a simplified version of it.

See the bmcweb code that sets up the handler here
https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb/blob/5b9e95a17fae7aaf9f8716b65345bb64ade5f403/redfish-core/lib/chassis.hpp#L206

The next question might be "how are these interfaces created", and I
believe they come from entity-manager. Entity-manager reads a json file,
and creates the corresponding dbus interfaces. I know less
about entity-manager. But this looks to be the creation of the interfaces,
which depending on the json, could be a chassis.
https://github.com/openbmc/entity-manager/blob/e45d8c71bdbae39f14a638137da9dc03474536c1/src/entity_manager.cpp#L603

Ed, Patrick, and Brad know more about this process.