MCTP/PLDM BMC-host communication design

Andrew Jeffery andrew at aj.id.au
Thu Jan 20 09:51:00 AEDT 2022

On Tue, 18 Jan 2022, at 03:03, Tung Nguyen OS wrote:
> Dear community,
> [Switched the email in PlainText format]
>
> We are using community PLDM/MCTP code to design our MCTP/PLDM stack via
> SMBUS on aarch64 system. Basically, we have 2 CPU sockets corresponding
> with 2 SMBUS addresses, and the MCTP/PLDM stack looks like this image:
> https://github.com/tungnguyen-ampere/images/blob/7dba355b4742d0ffab9cd39303bbb6e9c8a6f646/current_design.png
>
> Due to the not supported of discovery process, we are fixing the EIDs
> for host.

This is true if you're using the libmctp userspace solution.

This isn't true if you're using the in-kernel MCTP stack with the associated utilities from Code Construct:

https://codeconstruct.com.au/docs/mctp-on-linux-introduction/

Specifically, mctpd can handle discovery and network setup for you.

The kernel solution is the future of MCTP in OpenBMC, so if this isn't part of your plan then I'd encourage you to consider it.

There might be some work to do to get the latest work from Jeremy and Matt into the OpenBMC kernel tree, but I'm sure they will be happy to help out.

Cheers,

Andrew