MCTP/PLDM BMC-host communication design

Tung Nguyen OS tungnguyen at os.amperecomputing.com
Tue Jan 18 03:33:31 AEDT 2022

Dear community,
[Switched the email in PlainText format]

We are using community PLDM/MCTP code to design our MCTP/PLDM stack via SMBUS on aarch64 system. Basically, we have 2 CPU sockets corresponding with 2 SMBUS addresses, and the MCTP/PLDM stack looks like this image:
https://github.com/tungnguyen-ampere/images/blob/7dba355b4742d0ffab9cd39303bbb6e9c8a6f646/current_design.png

Due to the not supported of discovery process, we are fixing the EIDs for host. During the implementation, we recognize if we use this approach, we will have a limitation when using the code in pldmd and host-bmc in https://github.com/openbmc/pldm
Where just only Host_EID is using. (It might be improvement later here).

A new way that is considering is like the image: https://github.com/tungnguyen-ampere/images/blob/7dba355b4742d0ffab9cd39303bbb6e9c8a6f646/new_design.png

In this way, we use an EID for host to communicate. The master socket 0 should self-manage the host devices like: sensors, effectors, boot progress ... etc.

I would like to hear your opinion on this if the feature is applicable for your systems like what is pros, what is cons, what is the performance, what do you prefer, other suggestion... etc.

Our target is to make the feature works and support the community..

Thank you & best regards,
Tung