No dbus objects for phosphor-regulators

Shawn McCarney shawnmm at linux.ibm.com
Sat Feb 12 02:32:13 AEDT 2022

On 2/9/2022 4:30 PM, Mike Jones wrote:
> The journal shows an I2C error: Device or resource busy. Does hwmon
> lock out phosphor-regulators if it uses the same address? Sent from my
> iPad On Feb 1, 2022, at 10:38 AM, Shawn McCarney
> <shawnmm at linux.ibm.com> wrote:  ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍
>
> The journal shows an I2C error: Device or resource busy.
>
> Does hwmon lock out phosphor-regulators if it uses the same address?

phosphor-regulators currently communicates directly with voltage
regulators using i2c-dev; it does not use device drivers.

The reason is that most regulator drivers provide either no or very
limited ability to configure regulators.  For the systems I work on, we
need to do extensive regulator configuration to fine tune things (output
voltage, pgood min/max, timing, etc.) Redundant phase fault detection is
also pretty device-specific and on involves communicating with multiple
devices.

I have not tested using phosphor-regulators when a driver is bound to
the regulator, but I suspect you may be right.  I assume hwmon is using
read sensor data from a driver, and the driver being bound is stopping
the phosphor-regulators read from succeeding.

Thanks,

Shawn