Adding Inventory

Andrei Kartashev a.kartashev at yadro.com
Fri Aug 12 05:28:16 AEST 2022

Hello Oguzhan,

This is a very common question for newcomers, I believe is was already
answered somewhere in the list.
BMC out of the box don't have any knowledge on host's equipment (CPU,
DIMM, Drive, AIC, etc) - it is up to you to deliver this information
from host to BMC. As for now the most common way to feed BMC the
information regarding CPU and DIMM is to transfer smbios tables via
ipmi. You can implement any other mechanism but any way, you need to
have some code in your BIOS.

As soon as you have the CPU/DIMM information on BMC it can be shown in
bmcweb by implementing corresponding dbus interfaces
(xyz.openbmc_project.Inventory.Item.Cpu and
xyz.openbmc_project.Inventory.Item.Dimm). smbiosmdrv2 daemon do this,
but you also can add EntityManager configuration files for this or
write your own daemon to expose the interfaces.

--
Best regards,
Andrei Kartashev,