OTP-5: "OpenBMC TOF Proposal" Process

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Sat Oct 30 06:07:12 AEDT 2021

On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 12:37:20PM -0400, Brad Bishop wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 11:33:51PM -0500, Patrick Williams wrote:
>
> >## Definitions
> >
> >* OTP: An "OpenBMC TOF Proposal".  Any request to the TOF should be framed as
> >  an OTP as documented by this process.
> >
> >* Author: The individual(s) who write the initial draft of the OTP.
> >
> >* Champion: A member of the TOF, confirmed by the current TOF chair, who will
>
> What does confirmed mean here?  The chair will document the champion
> somewhere?  Also what if nobody on the TOF wants to volunteer to
> champion the proposal?  One will be appointed and try their hardest to
> represent the interests of the person making the proposal?

This might need to be worded differently.

I anticipated a few scenarios:

    1. Multiple individuals are all so excited about a proposal that they want
       to volunteer to be the champion.
    2. Only one individual is excited enough to volunteer to be a champion.
    3. No one is excited enough to volunteer.

In #2, the "confirmation" is easy.  In #1, the chair should pick one of them.
In #3, the chair should pick someone, yes, and as you said: try their hardest to
represent the interests of the person making the proposal.  I recollect we've
discussed that others would be invited to the TOF discussions for their own
proposals, but I don't see where that is documented.  If that is so, acting as
champion shouldn't even require buy-in to the proposal itself and means more of
coordinating the after-effects of the decision(s).

--
Patrick Williams