OTP-5: "OpenBMC TOF Proposal" Process

Brad Bishop bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com
Sat Oct 30 03:29:54 AEDT 2021

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 11:33:51PM -0500, Patrick Williams wrote:
>As I mentioned in https://lore.kernel.org/openbmc/YXDrQAf73igsbu7+@heinlein/,
>the TOF needs a process for making proposals.  We have a bit of a cycle though
>in that we need a proposal for the process but we don't have a process for
>proposals.  So, this email is a proposal for the process for making proposals
>with which I am attempting to follow the proposed proposal process.
>
>Before I get into the proposal itself, the proposal proposes how the community
>should interact with proposals.  I propose that we all follow said
>proposal(s):

Thank you for this ^ 🤣

>Any member of the OpenBMC community may give feedback by:
>
>1. Expressing a vote to the top post of the Github issue.
>2. Providing grammatical suggestions to the Gerrit commit.
>3. Responding on the mailing list with opinions on non-grammatical OTP content.

I think I would just like to see the entire conversation happen on the
list.  What would be the difficult parts with that?

>4. (Least desirable) Providing off-line feedback to a TOF member(s).

If it is undesirable why do we have it?  Maybe we could list that
rationale to make sure this option is only used for those special cases?

>Community members should refrain from:
>
>1. Voting on any comment in the Github issues beyond the top post.
>2. Cluttering the mailing list discussion with grammatical suggestions.

I would agree this would be a minor annoyance but is it worth splitting
the review process across both Gerrit and the list?  My opinion?  no.

-brad