cannot ping serverip from u-boot.

Mahesh Kurapati mahesh.kurapati at keysight.com
Wed Oct 27 04:53:10 AEDT 2021

Hi all,

I am using openbmc-2.9.0 on AST2500 BMC.  From the u-boot, I could not ping to any external node be it on the same network, or a different network.  I configured static ip 192.168.0.81 for my laptop and attached wireshark to the same interface.  I don't see any ARP requests when I issued ping command from BMC to the laptop.  I see that link status is up from the debug prints, and also the MDIO status registers.  Don't see anything wrong.  Not sure what/where to look for to debug the issue further.  Appreciate any suggestions.  We are using Marvel Alaska 88 series Phy.  If this works, I want to tftpboot the board, and flash the eMMC.  That is my goal.

ast# printenv
baudrate=115200
bootargs=console=ttyS4,115200n8 root=/dev/ram rw
bootcmd=bootm 20080000
bootdelay=2
bootfile=all.bin
eth1addr=c2:d1:29:f8:1b:e3
ethact=ethernet at 1e680000
ethaddr=be:f3:fa:8c:cd:e8
fdtcontroladdr=bcf82138
gatewayip=192.168.0.1
ipaddr=192.168.0.45
netmask=255.255.255.0
serverip=192.168.0.81
stderr=serial at 1e784000
stdin=serial at 1e784000
stdout=serial at 1e784000
verify=yes
ast#

ast# ping $serverip
Trying ethernet at 1e680000
ethernet at 1e680000: link up, 1000 Mbps full-duplex mac:c2:d1:29:f8:1b:e3
Using ethernet at 1e680000 device
ARP broadcast 1
ARP broadcast 2
ARP broadcast 3
ARP broadcast 4

ARP Retry count exceeded; starting again
ping failed; host 192.168.0.81 is not alive
ast#

ast# mdio read  1.0-60
Reading from bus eth1
PHY at address 1: