[phosphor-sel-logger] How to add a journal entry manually

Bills, Jason M jason.m.bills at linux.intel.com
Tue Oct 26 08:07:44 AEDT 2021

On 10/25/2021 5:02 AM, Chris Chen (TPI) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I for now have added rsyslog and phosphor-sel-logger packages to build
> the image, then I could see the xyz.openbmc_project.Logging.IPMI through
> the busctl command after the system runs up.
>
>  From this link,
> https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2019-October/018640.html
> <https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2019-October/018640.html>, I
> understand that I should be able to add a journal entry that has the
> IPMI SEL MESSAGE_ID: "b370836ccf2f4850ac5bee185b77893a" to test the
> feature, but I don't know to give the correct parameters to the method
> call, IpmiSelAdd, as below,
>
> ~# busctl call xyz.openbmc_project.Logging.IPMI
> /xyz/openbmc_project/Logging/IPMI xyz.openbmc_project.Logging.IPMI
> IpmiSelAdd xxx
>
> Could someone help me out on this? Thank you.
You can find the implementation for IpmiSelAdd, here:
https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-sel-logger/blob/master/src/sel_logger.cpp#L270.

"IpmiSelAdd", [](const std::string& message, const std::string& path,
                     const std::vector<uint8_t>& selData,
                     const bool& assert, const uint16_t& genId)

Where
message = the string to set as the MESSAGE in the journal
path = the D-Bus path to the sensor that logged the event
selData = the raw bytes of the IPMI SEL entry
assert = the event direction of the SEL event
genId = the Generator ID for the SEL event

The busctl format is 'ssaybq', so a sample command is
busctl call xyz.openbmc_project.Logging.IPMI
/xyz/openbmc_project/Logging/IPMI xyz.openbmc_project.Logging.IPMI
IpmiSelAdd ssaybq "helloworld" "/xyz/openbmc_project/Test" 3 16 32 64
true 0x81

This should add an IPMI message to the journal that is picked up by
rsyslog and sent to /var/log/ipmi_sel like this:

root at intel-obmc:~# cat /var/log/ipmi_sel
2021-08-20T01:16:48.747428+00:00 1,2,102040,81,/xyz/openbmc_project/Test,1