[phosphor-logging] About the "Stop emitting Entry propChanged before ifacesAdded" change reason

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Thu Oct 21 04:17:36 AEDT 2021

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 10:13:06AM -0500, Matt Spinler wrote:
> values, and then explicitly emits the IA signal.   Others can chime in,
> but I didn't see it as proper D-Bus behavior to emit propertiesChanged
> before InterfacesAdded, since in fact no property is changing after the
> interface was added.

Correct.  PropertiesChanged signals should not show up before InterfacesAdded.

> It seems like every application does their own thing here, so maybe we
> can come up with some official best practices for how to emit signals
> for new interfaces (unless it's there and I missed it).

I'll admit the sdbusplus API is not great for this and a lot of applications do
it wrong.  There was this issue on the backlog to come up with something
"better": https://github.com/openbmc/sdbusplus/issues/53

--
Patrick Williams